The festive season has already begun. I know it isn’t the same as every year but as long as we are safe and healthy, we have every reason to celebrate.
Hi, there. Welcome to yet another read from the abode of words. Today, I will be talking about one of my hobbies that slowly converted into my passion.
No, not writing. Words are my eternal love. But, there exists this another thing that is equally dear to me.
I am talking about braiding.
Having these long hair and not doing anything to them, keeping the same, boring ponytails, or simply letting them loose on occasions- this was pretty much what I used to do to my hair until 2 years ago.
Then, I discovered braiding.
I know you might be thinking, what is there to discover in it? Everyone knows about braiding.
Eh, it was a “discovery” to me. Because I am the same girl who was dependent on her mother for a basic three-strand braid until the middle year of her graduation.
And once I learned it, there was no going back.
I have done a lot of experiments on my hairstyling within these two years. Therefore, I will be sharing a few of my most appreciated braiding hairstyles with you in this blog.
You can easily try them out on your hair this festive season. In fact, I would encourage you to go ahead and incorporate your own ideas while doing it.
But, if you happen to use any products on your hair make sure to give your hair some care post the festive season.
Moreover, I have got a SURPRISE for you in the end. But, don’t skip anything. Read it all. Remember, patience my friend, patience.
Let it loose or tie them up
This is the most basic braiding trick on my list. It doesn’t take much time. It’s easy to achieve and makes you look extremely gorgeous.
If you have medium-length or long hair – I promise you’d rock this hairstyle.
How to do it:
- Comb your hair and make sure they are untangled and clear.
- Divide your hair into a middle or side partition – The choice is yours. (I prefer middle partition for this hairstyle since it divides the hair equally and maintains the balance of volume on both the side)
- Once divided, now take a strand of hair. Divide it into two.
- Do the first crossover or twist with these two strands.
- Now, just simply keep adding hair to the strand that’s below (I have used a ribbon, for the braided bun. However, it is totally optional.)
- Continue doing this till you reach the back of your hair.
- Secure it with a hairpin or hair tie. Repeat it on the other side.
- Tie both the twisted braids together.
And, your basic twisted braid hairstyle is ready. Let those locks flow over your back 😉
However, if you wish to take this hairstyle a notch higher. Here’s what to do.
- Gather all the loose hair in a ponytail. You can keep it high or low as per your comfort.
- Again, the choice is yours to wrap this ponytail in a basic bun or to do a regular three-strand braid and then wrap it into a bun.
Either way, you are ready to be the woman with her basic yet classic charm. Either way, you are ready to turn heads this festive season.
French sides, Dutch at the center
Let’s get a step ahead. A basic three-strand braid surely goes a long way. But, what goes a little longer is basic French or Dutch braid.
And, it becomes a little too exquisite when you blend all of these and create some magic.
Here are two braided buns I created for myself on different occasions. And, I don’t know about anybody else but I was extremely happy with the results – Self-love, baby.
How to do it:
- Divide your hair into a middle partition. Here, the middle partition is compulsory.
- Now, from the initial point of this partition of your forehead, carve out a portion of the middle section of your hair till the crown area. Secure with a thick hair clip as of now. And, set it aside.
- Your hair now should be divided into four parts – left, right, back, and middle.
- Grab the left section of your hair and do a regular French braid, back until your crown area.
- Repeat the same on the right side.
- Now, untie the middle portion of your hair. Make a Dutch braid all the way until your crown area (Or, you can simply comb this hair section and add it into the pony as I have done with my hair of black outfit).
- Secure the back portion of your hair, firstly into a pony, and do regular braid all the way till down. Here comes my favorite part. Pinch and pull your braid to make it look more voluminous. Wrap this braid into a bun. Secure it with bobby pins.
- In the final step, cross over the left and right French braids under the hair bun. And, wrap your Dutch braid around it too. (Or cross them over the hair bun, as done in the second picture).
And, you have a beautiful braided bun ready to slay this festive season.
I know, I know it is all tricky and messy. But, I told you above it is exquisite too. 😉
Give it a try and let me know, how it goes. And, if you don’t know how to do a regular French or Dutch braid, there are a lot of tutorials available online. That is how I learned it.
So, this is how you make basic look classy. And, now time for your surprise.
With the beginning of the festive season, I know you all must have already had your shopping list ready. Especially, if you love braids and hairstyling as I do – you are going to love this.
I know the steps above might have been a little tricky. So, here’s what I used to do when I began my self-learning braiding. I used hair tools. They come in handy and do not dig a hole in your pocket.
So, if you are someone who is prepping up for the festive season. Here’s Shopper.com. It is a free Google chrome extension that lets you shop at discounted rates from your favorite online store. They provide you coupon codes to help you shop while keeping it easy on your pocket.
I got these hair tools for myself from Flipkart. And, I cannot begin to describe how much time-saving they are. Every difficult braiding I try, they make it easy for me.
Not just Flipkart, Shopper.com allows you to shop online from sites like Amazon, Myntra, Ajio, and a lot more of these. They have got your festive nights sorted. From eateries to clothing, they have partnered with a number of brands to help you get the best at your affordable rates.
Imagine, we already have so many discounts and offers running over on every brand. And, Shopper.com provides you your favorite product at rates lesser than the existing discount. Sounds amazing? Doesn’t it?
So, go ahead and install it on your browsers via this referral link. And, get going this festive season. Also, if you try my braiding suggestions, do let me know.
I would love to see your recreations and incorporations. Feel free to send them here. I would love to share your pictures on the hair or braiding blog I do next. So, put your braiding creativity at work. I’ll see you soon 😉
And, Happy Shopping!!!
I shall see you on Wednesday. Bye.