Components of wellness in the workplace are not limited to the physical and mental wellness of the employers and the employees. Wellness, as a term, on the whole, is never limited to the physical or mental aspect of life.
Hi everyone, welcome back to my blog. I hope you all had a great time in March and your financial closings went well too. With spring around and the onset of April, I, first of all, want to give you all my wishes for Easter.
Now if you remember, a few weeks ago, I wrote a blog titled 8 COMPONENTS OF PERSONAL WELLNESS YOU MUST KNOW TO IMPROVE YOUR WELLNESS. Today, I am taking my blog a step ahead for I will be discussing these components or dimensions of personal wellness concerning the workplace.
The wellness industry costs a whopping 1.3 trillion dollars today. The pandemic gave us all the reasons to think and reflect on our lifestyle.
But, unlike the usual times, it also made us understand that wellness is not confined to the physical and mental wellness of the individual. It goes beyond the two concerns. Each of them deserves equal and undivided attention.
The force that drives workplace wellness is the success rates of the wellness programs. The employers bring in the plan for their employees to improve the overall results of their business.
As we have already talked about these dimensions of wellness from an individual’s concern, now let us throw light on each of these concerning the workplace.
1. Emotional Wellness at the workplace
Conversations about emotional wellness at the workplace still have a long way to go. The key to ensuring emotional or mental wellness at the workplace is to have a work culture that makes people feel secure about their position in the organization. This can be done by:
- Sending daily or weekly motivating emails
- Providing mindfulness training and have a discussion to find symptoms of stress
- Including onsite yoga and meditation sessions
- Offering days off to acknowledge people’s mental wellness
- Arranging stress management workshops
2. Physical Wellness in the office
Physical wellness isn’t limited to fitness and nutrition. It is also about being active enough to keep up with your daily tasks without frequently feeling tired. It also caters to physical stress and avoiding self-destructive habits like drugs and alcohol. At the workplace, this is how you can improve physical wellness:
- Introduce and encourage walking meetings
- Encourage the use of stairs instead of lifts
- Have monthly fitness challenges
- Keep the workplace sanitized to promote hygiene
- Offer healthy snacks and encourage healthy sleeping habits
3. Environmental Wellness at organizations
Our nature, our surroundings, the environment we live in, all these play a major role in our overall wellness in both the aspect, personal and professional. Hence, environmental wellness is about the awareness of our environment. Here’s how it can be made a concern at the workplace:
- Offer high quality filtered water
- Infrastructure should be designed to access natural resources easily
- Include plants in the office
- Have a recycling program
- Maintain less noise and avoid heavy use of artificial lighting
4. Intellectual Wellness at the workplace
As the name suggests, intellectual wellness is all about the individual’s recognition of their creative abilities. It is about their self-awareness to find ways to expand their knowledge and skill set.
Ensuring intellectual wellness at the workplace for your employees can look like this:
- Have a library of resources relevant to your business
- Offering weekly or monthly personal development sessions
- Encourage brainstorming sessions
- Create opportunities to collaborate and encourage teamwork
- Encourage your employees to read books by having a book club
5. Financial Wellness in the office
When a person understands their economic status and sets realistic income goals, this state is termed financial wellness. The financial success of an individual is the result of the right analysis and proper planning. Workplace, certainly, is the key to a person’s finances. Let us see how can it be ensured for your employees:
- Include financial advice sessions by professionals for your employees
- Encourage them to track, analyze, control, and save their money
- Provide special discount programs for your employees
- Provide merit-based incentives to promote better performance
- Encourage them to create a budget and stick to it
6. Social Wellness at the workplace
Social wellness is about how well you can mingle and connect with the people around you. It is about building positive and meaningful relationships that allow you to become a better person and where you do the same for others. Social wellness in the workplace can be incorporated by:
- Create a space for the employees to interact other than work
- Organize events and activities to bring people together
- Go outside the workplace with your employees to interact with them
- Hold wellness competitions to increase participation and teamwork
- Help them build new cultural relationships by encouraging communication among them
7. Occupational Wellness in the office
When an individual is satisfied with their choice of career when they enjoy what and how they work when they can successfully maintain the work-life balance when they are curious and enthusiastic about exploring and increasing their skill set – all of this combines to help an individual sustain their occupational wellness.
At the workplace, you can do it by:
- Maximize workplace happiness with incentive and rewards
- Having a smoke free policy
- Involving employees and other staff members in decision making
- Include in-office child care and pet care
- Offering flexible work hours
8. Spiritual wellness in organizations
Spiritual wellness works somewhat in line with our mental or emotional wellness. Both of them have a direct influence on each other. Spirituality is not necessarily about being religious. It is about peace, faith, and harmony in one’s life. It is about fulfillment and satisfaction in life which a lot of people, unfortunately, don’t have in the hectic lifestyle we have. Spiritual wellness at the workplace can be functioned by:
- Align the employees’ expectations with the vision and mission of your business
- Encourage meditation and mindfulness practices
- Offer in-office yoga classes
- Encourage diversity in culture and ideas
- Have separate rooms aka stress-free zones for employees to relax or sleep
The 8 components of workplace wellness play an extensive role in our overall wellness. I hope you enjoyed reading about their incorporation in the workplace.
As a business owner and employer, you must understand the importance of workplace wellness and try the tips mentioned in this blog to keep your employees happy and satisfied. After all, the happiness and satisfaction of your employees are directly proportional to the growth of your business.
I’ll see you next week with my take on some new aspect of wellness.