Immunity during these times is a great concern. Covid-19 has given an incredible push to humans to look after their immunity system and maintain their health.
Our immune system is something similar to that of our brain. We are all familiar that our brain stores important information for future use. We call it ‘memory’ in layman terms.
The human immunity systems work in the same manner. It not only protects our body against specific pathogens but memorizes them too. Suppose you see somebody trying to hit you for the first time. Because of the lack of presence of mind, you are beaten by them. But, if the same person tries to do the same again, you are attentive enough to recognize and stop them.
This is exactly how the immunity system works. It recognizes the pathogen when it enters our body the second time. This allows our body to respond faster as compared to the first time to fight this infection.
But, as much as immunity is talk of the town today, we probably just tend to go lenient with it otherwise. Hence, this is your reminder to keep your immune system strong, whether a pandemic is around or not.
I know I am not a professional, but here are the ingredients that can help you upkeep your immunity during these uncertain times and also for the future.
Black Pepper for immunity
Black pepper is an extremely important ingredient in our Indian food platter. We love our spices a little too much. This is how our culture has kept us stronger always.
Black pepper isn’t only to add taste and flavor to our taste buds. It also has a lot of benefits to keep us healthy. Hence, it holds the top place in this list. A few of these benefits are:
- Black pepper propagates successful digestion
- It reduces wrinkles and keeps up with melanin content of your body (Melanin is the pigment responsible for the color of skin, hair, and eye)
- Helps in fat loss and increases metabolism due to the abundant presence of phytonutrients
- It is loaded with antioxidants, hence reduces the risk of cancer
- Stimulates and supports the functioning of our brain by preventing the action of toxins from damaging the healthy brain cells
- It is anti-inflammatory since it reduces and stops the death of cells
Other than the mentioned ones, black pepper is significantly suggested by Ayurveda to fight infections and treat coughs and colds. The ancient times reveal a lot of other secret advantages of using black pepper in our food.
I have been consuming a lot of black pepper during the COVID-19 period. The taste truly levels up your dish and adds to your immunity too.
Asafoetida benefits in COVID-19
I am probably using this word for the very first time. Because we Indians, we just call it hing. I bet. Don’t tell me you are from India and you don’t call it hing normally.
Asafoetida is another feather in the cap of Indian spices. It plays a vital role in most of our Indian recipes. This rhizome root enhances the aroma of all of our state cuisines.
- Treats acne and bacteria and promotes skin radiance
- Improves digestion and is helpful in treating stomach disorders such as stomach gas, intestinal gas, colon problems, etc.
- It helps in treating respiratory problems like asthma, bronchitis, common cold.
- Asafoetida powder helps in curing dental problems. Its nasal insufflations helps in acute fits
- It is even said that helps in resuming the stopped menstrual periods
- Its consumption keeps the blood thin and lowers the blood pressure.
Asafoetida has found its place in indigenous medicines, specifically in the Unani systems of ancient times.
Cardamom for immunity
The next spice on the list is cardamom. Cardamom is another spice that has found its origin in the ancient times of Indian culture. Today, it is available and used globally to enhance every kind of recipe.
It is not just a versatile spice to go well with everything you use it with but it also offers myriad health benefits.
- It has a compound called cineole which effectively treats cough and cold, specifically by using it in tea
- Folk medicine uses it to treat asthma and bronchitis owing to its anti-inflammatory properties
- Unani and Ayurveda boasts of black cardamom to be efficient in the process of digestion for it restores the bacterial balance of the human gut
- The aroma of cardamom reduces nausea, controls vomiting, and provides overall relaxation
- Enhances the production of saliva and gastric juices in our digestive system which increases the appetite and maintains a balance
- Detoxifies the body and helps in obesity by improving the metabolism
Not just Ayurveda but traditional Chinese medicine also promotes including cardamom to our meals since it is helpful in providing an overall balance to our body and boost our immunity.
Turmeric benefits in COVID-19
It would be a sin on my part to talk about Indian medicinal spices and not include turmeric in the list. It truly tops the list of our spices or natural medicines.
Other than being used as a spice and recipe ingredients in the South Asian countries, surprisingly, turmeric is also used as a natural dye in many cultures around the world. They use it to color scarves, blankets, and other inks.
- The abundant presence of a compound called curcumin is credible to all the medicinal and health properties of turmeric
- Boosts our white blood cells (WBCs) and paves a way for better communication among the WBCs, the immune system and the rest of the body
- Being a warm spice, it stimulates the metabolism and energizes the body
- Helps in the detoxification of our liver and keeps it healthy
- Carries anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and wound-healing effects
- Intake of turmeric powder is stated beneficial for diabetes patients
Turmeric is an extremely powerful herb that contains as many as 300 nutrients. Wow, that’s surely a lot.
Moreover, the combination of turmeric and black pepper is insanely helpful to our immune system. Thanks to our ancestors for decoding this deadly duo and giving it to us.
Cloves for immunity
Yay, we have finally reached the last member of the list. Let’s continue and read ahead.
Cloves are dried flowers of its tree called Syzygium aromaticum. Heavy name?? I know.
As much as all the above-mentioned spices, cloves have got its benefits too. It contributes to the health benefits and is an essential ingredient in many culinary varieties.
- Carries anti-microbial and anti-mutagenic properties that aid in eliminating diseases related to our oral health
- Increases the secretion of digestive enzymes, hence, it helps in digestion
- Anti-bacterial properties allow it to fight pathogens in the body and keep our immune system stronger
- Contains antioxidants to fight the free radicals (Free radicals are unstable molecules in the human body that damages our cells)
- Extracts prepared from clove tends to mimic insulin in a surprising way and control blood sugar in diabetes patients
- The presence of an active ingredient called ‘eugenol’ is advantageous to our bone strength and preservation
Cloves are rooted by Ayurveda to cure problems related to oral health. They are also the choice of Chinese medicine due to the presence of an herb called an aphrodisiac.
Hey, you made it till the end. So happy and fortunate to have a loyal reader like you. I hope you enjoyed this important piece of information I put together for you. Just in case you feel like connecting, you can always drop by here. I’d be happy to connect.
Do let me know your thoughts on the same. Also, keep coming back. I have a lot more in store for you.
See you. Keep your immunity system strong not just now but when COVID-19 finally ends too.
Bye, happy reading!!!